• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aftermarket oil injection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been thinking for awhile about how to create a realiable oil injection (or oil mixing) system that could be added to engines that weren't originally designed for it (like the Cuyuna on my Ultrastar). A little poking around online came up with the "Accu-Mix R" used on some OMC (Evinrude) engines. Unlike the crankshaft gear driven injection pumps used on some Rotax engines, this apparently uses crankcase pressure pulses like the Mikuni fuel pumps, so it could therotically be adapted to any engine. The only drawback (for me, anyway) is that it seems to be only available in a fixed ratio of 50:1 (my Cuyuna requires 40:1).

I wonder, has anybody ever adapted one of these to an aircraft 2-stroke?

My main interest is to be able to fly to another airport and refuel without the hassles of mixing oil... for flying around home, I wouldn't care.

The boat boys seem to have mixed opinions about these systems. Many people remove the systems, being concerned about their reliability (just as people pull the factory oil injection pumps from their 582's)... but I wonder how much of that is real vs. imagined.

-Dana

If the government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs?

Back