Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: What Happened To...Le Pelican

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: What Happened To...Le Pelican

Quote Originally Posted by erkki67 View Post
    Hello Fritz

If you are still in concept sizing make it XXL for 6'6" 254lbs pilots with 12 size shoes

rki
    Size 14, please!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_150652.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	57770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_150818.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	57771
    In a hangar that I have access to. Now the Fun Begins!
    Percy in SE Bama

3. Likes Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dig out your tape measure and calipers, I've got SolidWorks fired up!
    Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr

5. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

THANK YOU Percy and Fritz and any others involved in this project! You guys might just save an interesting little airplane from the history books. All intellectual property and licensing concerns aside (work all that out later), getting this airplane into a digital model is a tremendous service to the community.

Fritz, as the digital portion of the project progresses, may I humbly suggest that you borrow a concept that the glider manufacturer Schempp-Hirth Segelflugzeugbau used - Their gliders were offered in an A and B version. Their A models were for small size pilots (like Chief Designer Klaus Holighaus), and the B models were reported to have been designed "for you gluttonous, well-fed Americans".

The key here as it pertains to the Le Pelican is that the smaller size version can also have a proportionately smaller wing and a smaller/cheaper engine. Only the bigger people who need it will have to build the larger version with a larger engine and larger wing. This concept has been proven out and is in widespread use in the hang glider, paraglider and paramotor communities.
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The all important first step is just to save the information while it's still available (CAD model then drawings etc.). Then, if mutants like me and Erkki ever hope to fly one, we'll have a good starting point for a bigger version.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
    Dig out your tape measure and calipers, I've got SolidWorks fired up!
    I'll offer a bit* of Solid time as well. All we need are some good photos with a tape measure on the X and Y axis and some key dimensions actually measured. I've already got a fair collection of photos gathered from the internet so I'm pretty well acquainted with the overall construction. Just need some measurements and gauges of the various bits.

Knowing the alloy(s) would be nice as well - if there are any visible stamps left - but with known dimensions we can probably figure out if it's 6061 or 2024.

Have Carbon Dragon plans that will take priority...
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
    Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe we can keep the CAD work in an album on the HBA or on Dropbox etc. (a poor mans version of the SW Vault). Then whoever has some free time can work on them.

I think the real time consuming part is going to be taking the measurements. I don't see any parts that look tedious to draw (complex organic shapes etc.) ...2 hours of Percy's hard work with a tape measure, camera and note pad will take 5 minutes of mouse clicking to model

10. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe we can keep the CAD work in an album on the HBA or on Dropbox etc. (a poor mans version of the SW Vault). Then whoever has some free time can work on them.

I think the real time consuming part is going to be taking the measurements. I don't see any parts that look tedious to draw (complex organic shapes etc.) ...2 hours of Percy's hard work with a tape measure, camera and note pad will take 5 minutes of mouse clicking to model
    He shouldn't have to measure too much. For things like the gussets all we need is the thickness and a picture of it on a sheet of grid paper, or with another reference. The rest we can fill in as the model of the basic structure is built. The primary structural number measurements needed can also be reduced significantly if we agree in the beginning on some key dimensions of sub structures. Then the connecting structures can be developed in CAD to fit both the original design and our copy. This way our drawings can be used to build new, or restore an original using interchangeable, but maybe slightly different sub-assemblies.

The central location for the CAD is a good idea. We just have to figure out how/what is uploaded. I'm stuck with SW 2012* and don't plan to upgrade so exchange of *.PRT files between us will all be one way. Users of newer versions can build on my work but I can't use anything from newer. Trading/posting files on other than SW file format seems to be the only way?

Edit: Just remembered the EAA Student SW offering. Maybe we could use it for a SW standard for this proposed project?

*I need something compatible with XP due to other software and hardware limitations that are also expensive to upgrade.
    Conventional wisdom and practices yield conventional results. If that is good enough for you:
    Problem solved.

"--and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out."
    Richard P. Feynman

Frank Zappa

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in the same boat. I've got 2014 with some nice "bells and whistles" and I have no intention of upgrading again, at least not for several years. Hopefully by then there'll be a good alternative.

I think your right about using the EAA/Student version for the final model. The folks doing the CAD work could use what ever version they have and save a copy in the latest EAA/Student version. Even the non-CAD guys could use the model with eDrawings viewer (a pretty handy tool, and it's free)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Happened To...Le Pelican?
    Le hunters.

15. Likes Victor Bravo, Topaz, don january liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think your right about using the EAA/Student version for the final model.
    I'm planning on joining EAA just to get the free SW. so I can view some of the things on GrabCad that I can't with my old version. Also it looks like if you get SP5 updates SW is again forward compatible with the new version. If they hadn't dropped the ball* with 2015 we might have had a way to back date new SW files to the new - if in a series of steps?

* It might have been intentional???

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Le hunters.
    You have to boil them a LONG time before the oily taste goes away. Maybe the farm raised versions will be a little more palatable?
    Problem solved.

Richard P. Feynman

Frank Zappa

17. Likes bmcj liked this post