• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Temperature Concerns for Wood Aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hello Builders;

I want to ask if there are any temperature concerns, especially at the freezing end of the spectrum, when operating an all wood aircraft. Is wood more brittle when flying on a very cold day? Does the 12% moisture in the wood freeze and create problems for the wood structure?

While we're at it, how about when the aircraft is being built. Suppose it's built in a garage during the summer, and stored in the same garage in the winter? What kind of problems might I get into? Would sealing the main parts in a big plastic bag with dessicant be of any help?

The humidity in any indoor room is surely well above 12%, even in the winter, so does this mean that the wood is constantly, albiet slowly, gaining mositure as it sits in a typical room or other environment? Assume for the moment that I am not talking about a very humid location with lots of rain, such as BC Canada, the Amazon, or lots of parts of the UK. Just an "average" location.

Lastly, I would be using conventional aircraft wood with something like G-1 epoxy.

Thanks, Tom.

Back