• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

W-10 Tailwind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoore

Noob here again, I'd like to discuss the Steve Whitman W-10 Tailwind.

1) Tube+rag = lots of time vs. lots of money when compared to AL structures, correct? Time I got, money comes and goes.

2) Is this airframe suitable for VW power? Apparently because you can put "big" Lycoming and Continental engines on it FWF weight wouldn't be an issue if you wanted to go with GP's water-cooled heads for "100hp".

3) How about corvair?

4) What's this thing like to fly? Is it suitable for a low-time pilot given the proper transition training? Consider I've found a CFI that I know off-airport who is willing to "get me hooked" for the price of avgas in his families' planes. He's current so every flight can be recorded as dual in my logbook. I haven't hit him with the tailwheel scenario yet ;) We're going to ramp up my new addiction after the holidays as we are both pretty busy and the planes are getting used for travel during the season.

I saw that planecrazzzy is building one while flying his Kolb, I hope you chime in here as you've probably done the most research out of anyone on the board.

I'm considering the Tailwind because T+R might just be my cup of tea instead of sheet metal construction... I made a toolbox, it wasn't pretty :( I'm good with wood and want to weld anyway. I've looked over some Bearhawk builder's websites re: fabric covering: I believe my professional experience (carpet installation) combined with a slight upholstery hobby qualifies me to shrink some polyester around a frame with dope. I believe anything I upholster MUST come out looking nicer than things I bend on a brake and rivet together. :ban:

Oh yeah, I live in metro Denver so DA is definitely a consideration when choosing an engine for any particular airframe.

TIA!

Last edited:
Back