• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why is poplar not so popular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Hi folks..

I've been a member for about 3 weeks now, maybe a month. I've done a lot of surfing and reading in these forums, and found some information quite useful. I've not seen alot of the mention about poplar wood as being a good substitue for spruce, pine, etc. I have done quite a few tests with poplar, and I've found that (when grading the poplar the same way as any approved aircraft wood), that poplar holds up extremely well, and in some cases and applications, even better than some of the clear pine. It dont hold a candle to fir,(as far as strength goes), but it dont splinter when you look at it the wrong way either! As far as weight goes, it's right there with the clear pine I believe. I built a 202 Koala years ago, (kit form) and all it was, was a lot of clear pine cut to geodetic strips and such. In fact, I was angry because I paid so much money for so little wood, which I could have milled myself. Dont get me wrong.....I loved that little plane, and building was a snap. I just could have done it a LOT cheaper! Anyway....

Like I say......I'm just curious why it isn't more popular amoung builders. Maybe it is, and I've just been "out of the loop" too long maybe? But, I'm seriously considering using it on wing ribs, and tail feathers, on my next project.......which will be next year this time.....or there abouts.

Happy building folks!

John:tired:

Back