• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single Sided Wing, Fabric Covering Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I have the Poly Fiber covering "how to" book and have read it a couple times. I've just looked back through it again for information on how to attach fabric on a single sided airfoil. My understanding is the fabric with adhesive grips and holds quite well to itself when wrapping a top and bottom covering at the front and rear spars on a double surface wing but how does one go about attaching on a single surface wing? I didn't see any section in the book that addressed a single surface ultralight wing. I've wondered about wrapping the fabric over the top of the spars, back around and using adhesive to attach it to the underside of the top fabric. Would that work? Would stiching be necessary at the point where the "teardrop shape" cross section of the wrap re-attaches to the underside?

It seems reasonable that a double surface wing is much more effective, and certainly seems more "real airplane" like. Recently I read a comment that suggested although the single sided wing may be a bit slower from a cruise standpoint that takeoff and landing speeds would also be reduced when compaired to a double surface wing of the same configuration. If that's true, what % of a reduction in speed would result?

Seems that in my short time of becoming re-interested in planes that the more I learn the more I find out needs to be learned and understood. I've always wanted to know how things work, not just accept that they do work.

Thanks

Lynn

Back