• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Modern replica fighters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicT

Hi everyone. I’m relatively new to the website, and I have a question. But first let me introduce myself:
I got my pilot’s license about 18 years ago (I’m 57 years old now), and I’ve flown mostly sailplanes, with a good mixture of ultralights and single engine GA aircraft thrown in. I also build and fly R/C model airplanes, including gliders and electrics.

I’ve always loved the A-10 Warthog, and for about 10 years I lived in Tucson, where I could see them several times a day flying overhead either going/coming from Davis-Monthan airbase. I’ve designed/built a few versions of “stand-off scale” R/C Warthogs in various sizes, mostly with electric motors.

At one point about 15 years ago (while I was still living in the Southwest & had the space for it), I thought I might try doing a homebuilt aircraft, so I added tons of textbooks and reference manuals to my already significant collection, including everything I could find on building with wood. I attended several EAA meetings, and assisted a two other builders with doing some of the “grunt work” on their projects.

When I finally got to the point of trying to decide what I would build, the thought kept coming back to build a 50% A-10 Warthog, using wood, foam, aluminum, and fabric. Cutting a very long story short(er), after doing lots of research & calcs, drawing out preliminary plans, going over all the design with an aero engineer who verified my work, it turned out that it actually was possible to design and build this bird. However other things got in the way, and I never did get any further than framing up a vertical stab.

So now here’s my question:
With all the interest in warbird replicas, why hasn’t someone done a “modern” warbird replica?

Of course, I’m not talking about an F-16 or some other “lead sled” that requires jet engines, but something that can fly with a propped engine instead…the A-10 I was working on would have had two small 25-35 hp engines. Another candidate would be the Cessna T-37 with a propped engine in the tail. Or how about a DeHavilland Vampire with the engine between those tail booms?

Now, I understand that the A-10 would be easier to balance, since the engines are not all the way at the back end of the airframe…but I don’t think I’m the only one that has thought about this….am I?

rict

Back