• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

An idea that just won't go away!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SpitfireBuilder91

Looking at the photos of Russell's ex-P47, had me thinking of an idea that I've had for absolutely AGES - a WAR Spitfire.

The idea's been bounced around for ages, probably as long as I've been interested in building a scale Spit (if not before that!), but I really do think it's feasible.

A low-back Mk.XIV (or a Mk.18), similar dimensions to the P-47 etc, except with a Rotax 912S engine installed beneath the cowling - even turning a four-blade propeller if desired.

Sounds good so far, right? But then you get the inevitable question about.... the undercarriage. As we all know, the undercarriage on the Spitfire (all variants, not including the post-war Spiteful design) retract outwards and backwards at an angle into the wings. Replicating that on a 5/8ths scale aircraft will be tricky at best, unless you cheat somehow - such as INward retracting gear!

Why not? It's been done at least twice before (and an ultralight Spit in the USA will have the same) and solves some big issues about the wing/undercarriage set-up. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's only when the plane's on the ground that you'd actually be able to see it!

I think it's a workable idea, personally. Someone suggested converting a WAR Sea Fury, which might work with enough graft I guess, although the end product might not be the same....

Back