• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Direct drive or reduction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I have a Zenoah G-25B that I'll be using on my under-construction ultralight. I found a thrust estimation calculator somewhere and I don't remember the particulars, but I was suprised that the theoretical thrust in direct drive was higher than through a 2.25:1 belt reduction system that I have for the engine. Again, based on prop recommendation info from some source, I was using "what if" prop sizes of 37-39" diameter with 14 pitch on the direct drive, and 52-54" diameter and 24-27 pitch on the reduction. Maybe the props were all wrong for the engine.

The engine is rated at 20-22 HP at 6200-6500 RPM. The variations of those specs are due to differing specs depending on where I've found info. Can anyone speak from personal experience or from an engineered standpoint to weed out the best way to go? I'd go direct drive in a heartbeat if it can be effective. Basic info on what I'm building is a high-wing, aluminum tubing frame ultralight, tractor configuration, with a wingspan of 24' plus rounded wingtips. I've been very weight conscious in the build and estimate empty weight may be as low as 200# +/-, and with me at 155# and fuel the gross weight should be about 400#. I'd like to cruise at 45-48 MPH with gusts up to 50-52 MPH possible.

Thanks, in advance, for input and direction. Let me know if there's other information I'd need to supply to help with advice.

Lynn

Back