• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

XP-61 Black Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

I'm sure this will need to move to the U/L catagory, but i'm starting here because this thread is less active at the moment and i am talking about a Warbird.
After a lot of research on this site and others, with much more to come. I have found that the half scale size of this plane is very close to most larger sized ultralights and sailplanes, i have found the construction pages of the Monarch very helpful and an impressive lightweight build.
The half scale XP-61 wingspan of 33' ft. and a nose to tail length of about 22' ft, the total wing and tail area, including flaps, will be around 187 square feet.
I have calculated a lot and find that 180 pounds weight, less power, just might be possible.
I'm considering this plane rather than the twin mustang, because of pilot location at center and just in front of the wing with head above.
I realize wetted area is a big deal, but am thinking of a very slow stall speed of around 15mph, i would like 60+ mph but with such a large surface area it might require to much power to stay under the max. weight limit.

The property i own, has space for a landing strip of about 800' ft by as much as 150' ft wide. I have equipment to build and surface this strip, but there are one or two things that concerne me, which will come up later.

I'm looking for thoughts and comments from anyone willing to share.

One of my first questions would be, based on some comments recently in this forum, warplanes when reduced in size, have much different flight reactions, than the full sized planes. Would this be a major problem here ?

This is my starting point of thought and planning, and know there is much more to consider as i move forward. As for power, there are no firm thoughts at this time.

After seeing the thread about torsional viberation, that is ongoing now, i have a question about propellers. As i see it, if you could see air by it's density and temperature, it would look as if you are flying thru a giant lava lamp type world, as each blade is moving thru pockets of air, and each pocket can have a very destinct boundry, which causes different drag on each blade, even as little as one full turn, If a propeller has more blades, would this reduce viberations to the crankshaft of the engine ?

I have a paint booth exaust fan that is cast aluminum, and has 6 blades, it is 32" in dia and designed for about 5hp electric. Not knowing the designed max RPM, it is a very smooth and fairly quite fan, and does move a lot of air???:ponder:

Hope this link shows up

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=936&stc=1&d=1173647815

Last edited:
Back