• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tire selection Wheel construction Ultralight airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blane.c

Almost Human
Supporting Member
fantasy-06.JPG

I would like some ideas and input on constructing a wheel like this one.

I am thinking that the Kolb Flyer and perhaps others would benefit from a larger wheel diameter as it would increase propeller ground clearance and angle of attack. Also I am wondering if the larger diameter would benefit the landing gear structure in regards to a larger rolling moment about the axle and if the wheel tire can be designed to facilitate more "cushioning". If this could be done for the same weight as the original wheel and tire ... "ah hmm" ... well at least only a modest (pronounced small) weight increase.

I was thinking of trying some metal spinning to spin the large diameter disc to shape (a shape), but maybe it is stronger just a straight line from the hub to the rim?

I like the look of this tire.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/maxxis-hookworm-26x25-tire

Back