• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flights and preparation for them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twodeaddogs

Supporting Member
Hi all,
As an aircraft inspector for homebuilts and classics, I have conducted about ten first flight inspections (by chance, mostly RV-7s) and actually did two first flights myself, on Zenith 601s. This is a list of what I have done (or have had the owner carry out) for the inspection process (in Ireland);
Complete final physical inspection, by me, of stripped out aircraft (all panels off, all seat cushions off, full access to wings and tail, cowlings off,etc), as if I'd never seen the aircraft before (these are aircraft whose build or restoration I'd supervised).In particular, critical joints like wing bolts and engine mount bolts and prop bolts.
Complete function checks of flight controls (full, free and correct), trimmers, airbrakes, flaps)
Undercarriage retraction tests, manual and powered.
Complete electrical function tests.All lighting tested.
Compass swing.
placards and signage as required.
Registration letters and numbers as required.
Weight and balance, once reassembled.
Fuel flow check.Usually, the owner has calibration carried out before the final day, as this can take up a lot of time.
Pitot-static check; xpdr check (if equipment is available).
Loose article check, before the seating goes back in and usually a small person, who has not laid hands on the aircraft before. I find that fresh eyes will invariable find something.

Once the aircraft is ready to move under it's own steam (and has a few hours of engine break-in completed), I pull the pilot to one side and we go over the aircraft's documents to ensure that i have signed off everything and that it is legally ready to fly. I brief him or her on what I want him to do on a first flight; no aeros, no stupidity, no showing off for the camera and do some stalls, general handling and then land.

taxy trials; I get them to conduct figures of eight at walking pace, to check braking and sideloads. If the gear is going to fail,i'd rather it did it at the slowest pace, right beside us. It will immediately tell you if the pilot is getting full pedal travel and full braking action and there is no need to go bombing up and down the runway. I always get them to assume that the aircraft is ready to fly and treat it with respect.

trial hops: that's up to the pilot. It's his call, especially if it's an unfamiliar type.When I did first flights, I did a few fast taxy runs to get the sight picture into my head, confirm throttle action and to check engine temps and pressures at full power.

after landing: open the cowlings and check the engine for leaks and breaks. Have a good look around the entire aircraft in case anything has unknowingly detached (screws shaken loose). Congratulate the pilot.Fix any snags.

second flight: get the pilot to explore the handling a bit more, especially slow flight, turns, stalls and such things as fuel flow, Ts and Ps, environmental considerations such as wind leaks into canopies, cooling and heating, radio behaviour and anything that strikes the pilot.

later: debrief the pilot and crack open a few beers. It's not every day a new aircraft is born......fill out the paperwork

so what have I missed?

Back