• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Long distande cross country aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heliano

Greetings from tropical Brazil!
My name is Heliano. I've been reading the postings on HBA for quite a while. It is such a rich source of ideas!
I spent my professional life working for the aeronautical industry here. I am retired now - that is when you have time to turn your dreams into reality (but not with much money, though).
I am building an aircraft - fuselage is almost finished. The aircraft is neither aecrobatic, or speedy The intention is to have an aircraft which is, first and foremost, safe; and second also an efficient, long range cross country aircraft. Obviously if it is to be a long range cross country it must have a reasonably confortable and quiet cabin. If anyone wishes to know more details about the design, please feel free to ask.
The construction method is not much different from the KR2S but the design is quite different.
As for the safety I am dimensioning the aircraft per CFR14 Part 23 airworthiness requirements - utility category.
To have an efficient aircraft (good specific range) a retractable gear seems to be a must to me. As per the calculations I've done the parasite drag coefficient drops from .035 to about .021. It is an important difference.
The engine shall be a Viking 110 or 130, based on the Honda Fit engine. The Honda Fit engine is amazingly reliable, and there are hubdreds of thousands of Honda Fit here. I've driven one for more than 180000 miles running on 100% ethanol. It never failed and after 180000 miles the engine sounded like it was ready to run another 180000 miles without complaining! and it is also an engine with an excellent specific fuel consumption. The reliability of the Viking conversion seems to be very good. I am keeping a close watch on that.

Any comments are very welcome. I am here to learn!
Some figures:
Wing:
Area: 11,3m2
Span: 10.8m
Root chord: 1.47m
Tip chord: 0.624m
Aspect ratio: 10.32
Taper: 0.424
Dihedral: 4°
Wash out (torsion): 3°

Fuselage:
Length: 6.48m