• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Point about three pointers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I picked up a Sport Aviation some time ago and was reading an article by a fellow named Steve Krog who teaches tailwheel flying and has a series of articles on that subject. Mostly he uses J3 Cub.
Now I'm sure he's a competent pilot and has vastly more hours in that airplane than I'll ever have, but:

He makes the following point: "When landing in a three point attitude, you must never push the stick forward after the wheels are down because this will unstall the wing and you'll be flying again." Or words to that effect.

IMHO, this is utter nonsense. A Cub's wing in the three point attitude (and just about any other tailwheel airplane, save a few exotic STOL types) is not stalled. If his assertion was correct, you could never take off unless you first pushed the stick forward to "unstall" the wing. I can assure Mr Krog that I can take off a Cub with the tailwheel in firm contact with the runway. Open the throttle and with the stick back slightly, it will just lift off the ground perfectly well, with the tailwheel the last thing to leave the ground. And most other tailwheel will take off in their ground attitude. Not saying that is the best way to do it. But the idea that you will make a Cub fly again after plonking it down on all three wheels by pushing the stick forward is, aerodyamically speaking, impossible. Where do pilots get these ideas and perpetuate them for decades? The same place pilots get their automatic engineering qualifications after the checkride?

Discuss among yourselves; I need to slap more dope on fabric....

Back