• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

True ultralights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtul

I started building a Ragwing Parasol many years ago, but stopped with the fuselage, tailfeathers, ribs, LG and spars built but uncovered when I moved North from Florida. It's been hanging in the barn for 15 years. I've lately been thinking about building a UL again, but I want it to be a true UL.

Unfortunately , the Ragwing Heath is not a legal ultralight (nor is it a Heath Parasol "replica" either). I came to that conclusion when I did the numbers for wing area and gross and found stall speed would be way off no matter how lightly it was built -- about the time I stopped building. I wish I'd doubted the Ragwing claims to begin with and chosen another project. Like the Skypup, which at least has a shot at it.

So though discouraged by the Ragwing, I may yet start a homebuilt UL project. But it's difficult to find anything these days that fits the legal UL requirements of a 24 kt stall speed. I now know not to trust design claims, and instead just look at wing area and gross weight to get a quick estimate on whether it is in fact a legal Ul. And it seems like there's nothing out there.

I was wondering if anyone has any UL suggestions for designs other than Skypup that would meet the FAR UL stall speed requirements? If not, it may well be the Skypup next, for me.

Back