• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Der Jäger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

0310171232.jpg0310171231.jpg

Got an interesting little project in the hangar for a little while. I's a Der Jäger biplane, only about 20 of them flying. This one spent the last 20 years or so hanging from the ceiling in a hangar near me. The owner died fairly suddenly and the person who inherited it really just wants to get rid of it. My IA and I are fixing a few things to get it airworthy at least. It doesn't need much: Hangar rash on the wing tips, a couple of structural items and the engine needs to be checked out. It only had 46 hours on the airframe when it was put away, the engine (0-200) 2100 or so, but apparently ran well. Almost new prop too. Terrible waste to leave it sitting that long. The fabric will be good for a couple of years since it never saw much sun, but the dope is brittle from age and has the usual spider web cracks here and there. I would fly it for a while and then think about re-covering. The workmanship on this thing is first class; the owner was something of an engineer.

Of course, I tried sitting in it. I can't. I'm 6'2" and my right leg won't go in. It would with a modified panel though. It's also tight across the hips. It will make somebody quite happy, just need to find the right new owner for it. This isn't an ad, I just wanted to show it, but it will be for sale when I'm done with it. PM me if you know anyone who needs one of these.

Back