• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel gauge cork

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My new Starduster has the typical cork and wire fuel gauge in the main tank. Problem is, the cork is waterlogged ("fuellogged") and so reads low. I've asked the seller (I'm not going to pick the plane up for a month or so) to pull it out of the fuel to see if it dries out and he's doing that, though he said he tried it before and it didn't help. When I had my T-Craft I kept it out of the tank when not flying, though the main reason was to keep water out (I stored the plane outside so I had an unvented rain cap or it). But I also recall that the cork in the T-Craft was shellacked or something... is it ordinary shellac? Or something else? Obviously shellac would be a no-no if you're using auto gas with ethanol, but I'll be using only avgas.

Dana

Back