• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

About to start my first build. Considering options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flexwing-UK

Hi everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself as about to start a build project and will probably be looking for some advice (and to discuss the build). I'm a microlight pilot from the UK. Currently fly a flexwing microlight NPPL(M) and doing a conversion this summer to three axis.

I've wanted to build an aircraft for some time - I can't imagine anything better than taking to the skies in something I have built myself. I think now is the right time to start something like this. I have the space and resources for the project and whilst I work full-time I have a lot of spare time in the evenings.

I've never built an aircraft although I do all my own maintenance on my flexing (including engine strip-downs). I would class myself as very 'handy' and have done a lot of DIY projects over the years. I'm fairly competent with wood and think that with a decent kit I stand a good chance of pulling something together.

I'm strongly considering the SD-1 minisport (TG version) as SSDR UK. The choice at the moment is whether to go down the safer route of the 51% or go all out and get the materials kit. Ideally I would like to be able to complete this is around 18-months and want to ensure the build is within my capability. I am happy to put the work in, and think I have the general aptitude for such a build, but am also aware this is my first attempt at building an aircraft and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. The materials kit looks a bit daunting for a beginner?!

So that's my story. Currently just looking around at build stories for the SD1 and similar aircraft. I have a couple of months before my workshop is ready so I feel that's plenty of time to do my research and make an informed decision on which way to go.

Good to be part of the community!

Tim

Back