• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Could someone please help me identify this ultralight motor glider from AZ 1980s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandimmy

Hello,

I need help identifying this motor glider please. I grew up in Arizona and as a kid I used to ride my bike through the desert, just north of Phoenix, to watch the ultralights fly at a small airfield just south of Beardsley Rd around 45th ave. Sometime around 1979-1981, this pilot would show up every year, not sure where he was from, but he arrived towing a trailer which contained his motorglider. He would pitch a tent and basically live at the desert airstrip and fly his glider in the thermals all day. I remember he bungeed a small cooler next to his seat which contained his lunch, he told me he has lunch up there after he cuts the motor off. He was like a super hero to me because he was basically living my childhood dreams but for real! I still remember watching his white glider flying overhead, a white speck in the blue desert sky, just silently and lazily flying in the warm desert air. It just seemed like a dream to be able to do that. So flash forward to today, and now I would like to do what he did. As I research various ultralight gliders, I keep thinking of his motor glider and I found a couple pictures that I took. I thought maybe someone here might be able to help me identify this ultralight and maybe even know who the pilot/owner is? I would like to possibly build or purchase one like this.

Thank you
Jimmy
AZ 1.jpgAZ 2.jpg

Back