• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilts with yokes not sticks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Most general aviation aircraft use control yokes, not sticks, presumably because most are cabin types and that makes entry and exit a little easier. I bet most of the pilots reading this learned to fly entirely or partly in planes with yokes.

Off the top of my head, the only homebuilts with yokes that come to mind are some Mignet-type, two-axis tandem-wing designs. The pic below is from the sole Croses B-EC-9 Para-Cargo. There I can see the logic both in shortening the control run to the overhead front wing and leaving the floor completely clear (no rudder pedals either).

HPIM2212.JPG

Are there any other homebuilts with control yokes and any good reasons for or against their use? It does surprise me that yokes are not more common in the homebuilt world, if for no other reason than because they are so common on factory-built planes.

Back