• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Checking In With Questions from Saratoga Springs, NY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainH

I am excited to be a member of this community. I am about to embark on my first homebuilt aircraft. My goal is to start construction by the end of this year. I, like many novices, have a lot of questions I would like some insight on.

Firstly, while I already posses my pilot license, I am not really interested in building a plane I would enjoy to fly. My plan is to build a showpiece, have it for a year to take to shows, sell it and then build another one. I hope to build, 3-5 aircraft before retirement and then build a masterpiece (TBD) when I have plenty of free time.

My building criteria are:
  • Majority of work can be done in a single care garage
  • Preferable for a positive ROI
  • Good support system/likelihood of success

The aircraft I am looking at are:

Pietenpol - This aircraft has a long history and a very active online community. Being wood, it should be quite straight forward to build. My only trepidation about this aircraft is the fact that I will unlikely break even, however being so cheap it likely can be overlooked and I may just keep it and allow people to enjoy it.

Cri-Cri - This was the first homebuilt aircraft I learned about. Therefore it is special to me. It is perfect for my workspace, however I have not worked with metal and being plan built it will likely be a long arduous build. However, with that I will likely learn the most from this build. With its time to build and low cost, I would not need to sell it and will likely keep it and allow young aviators to enjoy it as a multi engine builder.

Vans RV-8 - As you know, this is the most substantial aircraft in my list. I have not done metal work, however I would take an empennage class which sounds like it will provide you the basics to build upon. The down side to this aircraft is the cost. I will likely have to time construction to finances, and I do fear that if I ever had to stop working there is a potential of a significant loss. On the up side, it will be a fantastic aircraft once built and will provide a positive ROI. My one question, I have read, and if I remember right some of the earlier kits are more challenge because the rivet holes are not pre-drilled - does this include the 8?

Zenith STOL CH 701 or 750 - This seems like the most sensible option. It is metal work, they also have the tail assembly class to teach you the basics to build upon. It seems like a great aircraft, fairly cheap, good support from the factory, proven flight record, likely easy to resale.

Kolb Mark III - I really like this aircraft, hence adding it to the list. I think it will be easy to build, however I fear it is along the lines of an ultralight construction rather than real airplanes. I think it is also expensive for what it delivers and likely will be difficult to sell due for a reasonable sum.

Any and all insight will be welcomed.

Back