Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Ford in the news again

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Harrison Ford in the news again

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    Taxiway C looks redundant to me, being right next to taxiway A.
    Taxiway A is the big-jet taxiway from the terminal, which is just to the east of A. C is the taxiway for GA aircraft on that side of the airport. It's there so the big jets can taxi to 20R on A without having to wait for a student pilot tip-toeing down the airport going to 20L. There are a couple of flight schools on the terminal side of the airport, and more than one bizjet operator, south of the main terminal on the same side of the airport. Taxiways A and C are redundant, so the heavies don't have to mix with us little folk.

Quote Originally Posted by BBerson View Post
    He may not of noticed they have two taxiways on that side and thought C was a runway. Looks awful wide for a short taxiway.
    IIRC, there was a C-150 that landed on taxiway A just a couple years or so back. It wasn't all over the news because there wasn't a celebrity involved. When there aren't any big jets on it, it looks an awful lot like a concrete runway, especially when you've turned final early because a 767 on short final for 20R just crossed in front of you less than a quarter-mile away. Pilots cut base short like that, get worried about wake turbulence or the sheer fact of the aluminum overcast in their face, and see either A or C in front of them and think it's 20L.

The one time I flew in there in a small plane, I was with a friend who was very familar with the airport and he was doing the flying. But it's really easy to see how a pilot not so familiar could screw up and land on the wrong strip out of the three. Now, maybe Ford really wasn't up to snuff that day for some reason, or maybe he just got hooked by SNA like I'm describing. I'm sure the FAA will figure it all out. But it's kind of an ugly airport to land on anyway, and until I've heard otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for just that reason.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    It was stated that he endangered an airline on the ground. While the only likely danger a Husky loses is damage that could ground the plane for repair or inspection, I'd like to know exactly where the airline was in relation to his plane. This type of element is often fodder for exaggeration and sensationalism. Does anyone know the true circumstance?
    I don't know the actual facts myself, and I would love to hear them, but if he "endangered an airliner", I'd have to speculate that he landed on Taxiway A. The heavies don't use C.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a shame they put the GA runway so close to the airliner runway. Should be separated at least a half mile on the other side of the terminal or something and should have a separate frequency. No mixing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the story broke, an animated graphic was shown. There was a 737 waiting at the very end of that taxiway for him to land on on the adjacent 20L runway. He flew directly over the 737 during his approach to the taxiway he landed on. The report didn't give any estimation of separation, but the visual they presented was pretty dramatic.

This is not the same graphic I saw but, I guess it's representative. The graphic begins at the 1:00 minute mark.
    https://youtu.be/5Ss4ARweBhI

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hans Solo does not make mistakes... there's a reason he landed there. You'll know the answer in Episode Twelve... Darth Vader and the Armchair Wookiees.

Name:  Wookiees.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  4.1 KB
    Last edited by rbrochey; February 17th, 2017 at 01:36 PM.
    There are two critical points in every aerial flight — its beginning and its end.
    — Alexander Graham Bell, 1906.

6. Likes Battler Britton, Derswede liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After watching the youtube from post #79 I'm trying to figure out why the "retired" airline pilot is wearing those uniform glad rags. I'm retired and all mine went to goodwill. I still have the stripes but don't see the need to dress up for a TV interview. More sensationalism by the media. Guy should keep his pie hole shut.

8. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh S**t. If that vid is what really happened and he passed right over the top of the Boeing that don't look good for him atall. That's a pretty glaring clue...

I'm with you Kevin. My stuff except the wings and stripes went in the trash. Maybe he has the "god" image thing. Wonder where they drug him up from...believe the caption said "former" airline pilot. Got a friend and retired fellow pilot from my airline who is the narrator on the Smithsonian Channel documentary on the MD11(I think) landing crash at Hong Kong or somewhere over there. He's in a suit and tie. Good on him.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I believe that is what happened as depicted in the video. Thats pretty egregious. Looks like the Boeing was holding short of the runway he was supposed to land on. If it went as the ATC controllers planned the Boeing crew would have seen him pass in front of them. They will probably 709 him if he's lucky.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin N View Post
    Yes I believe that is what happened as depicted in the video. Thats pretty egregious. Looks like the Boeing was holding short of the runway he was supposed to land on. If it went as the ATC controllers planned the Boeing crew would have seen him pass in front of them. They will probably 709 him if he's lucky.
    Earlier I said, "mistakes happen" and they do but this may be much more serious than I first guessed. Listen at this:

I hate it for him but I would think that big white airplane in the middle of the windshield on approach might be a clue that it wasn't going as planned ...

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    139.5 hours / Status - Flying

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for those who don't know what a 709 is

One of the enforcement actions that FAA can take against a pilot is known as a "709 ride" in which your certifications and rating are reevaluated by the FAA.

In my experience, the reevaluation is common when there's a screwup. done in the sim, got at least one fed lookin over your shoulder as well as company check pilot(s). it's all on the line...pressure man. (I never had to do one)course in Mr Ford's case his job isn't on the line.

13. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the 73 was a billboard...
    it ain't gonna be pretty

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course, if one were cleared to land and thought they were aimed for the runway, they might assume that the airline had been cleared to taxi across ahead of them on its way to the big runway, or was intended to be positioned safely below the glide slope.

Pilots generally assume that ATC knows what if's doing and might jump to the conclusion that the situation was a planned one rather than recognize it as an error on their part, especially if ATC hasn't issued any warnings or corrections. (Note: I am not laying this at the feet of ATC... I know they might not have been able to tell that he was lined up with the taxiway.)

16. Likes Topaz, mcrae0104 liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once again I am definitely not a professional level pilot. So I cannot address anything from that perspective. My hat's off to the people who have done airline flying and lived with all that daily pressure of line checks and sim checks and whatever other cavity searches that the company and insurance people put them through.

However, I do believe that if it were me, I would have a press conference (one where I was in control... proactive and not reactive) to calm everyone down. I would explain that it is indeed a tricky airport, and that I made an error that a hundred other pilots had made, and that just like we all do everyday in a crowded parking lot... there was never any real danger of a collision. I would come up with a clear analogy that nobody could argue with:

"Ladies and gentlemen, every day when we drive down the road, we are technically "inches from an accident" with every lane change, every stop sign, every pedestrian crossing in front of us. But we steer our cars away from the pedestrians and school buses long before we collide with them. If you're not a movie star, the public and the media doesn't panic every time you change lanes to avoid an accident. At a confusing and crowded airport, I accidentally lined up to land on the wrong strip of pavement. Several other pilots have done this same thing at this same airport. I passed over an airliner, but the airliner was in full view and there was absolutely no way that I could have, or would have collided with the airliner. But, I will gladly ask the FAA do a full check and verification of my piloting skills and judgment in order to make all parties involved, including me, confident that I'm fit to fly."

During that public press conference I would ASK/OFFER the FAA to take a 709 ride. In the week before that 709 ride I would fly 6 hours a day with different instructors in every aircraft I was rated in and make sure I was razor sharp.
    "Everything in this book may be wrong."
    Richard Bach, Illusions

18. Likes Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recommend Harrison wait for the certified letter and in the meantime contact AOPA legal. Having a press conference spilling the truth then claiming this happens often with others is a little slap in the face to the FAA, the very agency that regulates and keeps aviation safe. As far as the Hollywood media types the best Harrison can hope for is some big name actor to create a diversion like announcing going to rehab some other usual Hollywood drama to take the attention off him.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again, news boys, for the çomplete radio transmissions....(not).