• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Using softer solid rivets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
I am researching alternatives to standard 2117 (33k) solid rivets which I consider too hard for enjoyable use.
I looked at 1100 (11k) soft rivets and I think they are much too soft.
My Alcoa book recommends rivets of similar material to structure. I am riveting 6061-t6.
Can I get 6061-t4 (24k) rivets?
Or 5052? Commercial grade? Almost anything is better than 1100 dead soft (or soft blind rivets).
Or, I could use 2117 rivets that have been heated in the oven at some temperature to lower strength. I tried this and seems to work. Not sure what the strength is. Something half between 33k and 11k shear strength would be perfect, I think.

I am the designer and will pick appropriate diameter as needed for shear strength.
Any thoughts for easy to drive rivets options?

Last edited:
Back