• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Anyone seen this before? Mold surface problem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly More

I've made several molds now for my project and thought I was getting the hang of it until this happened...

IMG_8032.JPG

The surface of the tooling gelcoat is severely wrinkled in some places.

At first I thought it was because I liberally applied the PVA "backup" release agent when it was pretty cold (~45 deg F) and I don't think it dried all the way. However it happened again in a few spots the next time I made the mold even though I did not use any PVA release agent.

I'm using a duratec finished plug, coated in Meguires wax & PVA. The mold lay up is sprayed tooling gelcoat, a thin layer of PW glass, follwed by 4 plies on 1.5oz chopped mat. Resin is wet lay up vinyl ester.

I'd like to get to the bottom of what is causing it before making more big molds.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Back