• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Coping / saddle cuts in aircraft tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I'd start a thread on a pet project I'm working on. I'm just about finished. This tool and method isn't for everyone, this is more of a "next level" kind of a tool. Hand tools work just fine.

I've snipped tube ends with success, used files too, and grinders, and that lame "joint jigger". For a couple years now I wanted to set myself up with a automated shaping device of sorts. Well, I use the automated term loosely I guess. Basically I wanted something close to the accuracy and fit of a CNC without paying $2k for a shop to do it.

Here's what I have so far as well as a test run. I have a system thought out for doing accurate and consistent angles but for today I just held it by hand using my eyeball.

The belts are 60 grit Norton Blaze 2" wide. Still adjusting my machine but it's going well.

This joint took no more than 3 seconds and the fit is flawless.

The best welded joints ALWAYS share a relationship to the quality and accuracy of the saddle cut....including the angle in the tube wall, which you can't get with snips.

Is this necessary? No. But now I have a great shop tool with adjustable platens and it's cheaper than CNC.
20170206_154541.jpg

20170206_154627.jpg

20170206_154652.jpg

Back