• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Portable Document Format and accurate digital copies of airfoil)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl_s

Hello,

In my past profesional activity, I programmed in the Java Language reports (with JasperReports) that had to match
perfectly preprint papers (in the A4 format). If you see what I mean, I programmed that preprint had to be filled
exactly with checkbox (and because it had to feel "profesional", it meaned to print exactly in the preprint checkboxes).

I'm not totally a geek, and obviously didn't programmed in the Linux environment with Latex to print my forms with the
(device indepent format) dvi format (with a ghostscript script), that could have been perfect.

The only solution was to print accurately with Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), and infering the printed resolution
(generally 600 dots per inches) to be my "device-independant" drawing scale (and programming with JasperReports that
way).

What I want to say you is that the Portable Drawing Format is not device-independant, and really if you are giving
digital copies of an airfoil on a PDF, don't expect to have exactly your printed copies as your original. You should
better ask your Phd nephew to program your digital drawing with Latex and ask your local print shop to print them
with Ghostscript.

I saw the PDF copies of the Irv Culver-Jim Maupin Woodstock homebuilt saiplane, and really don't have a lot of faith
in the printed results of the airfoil; and don't know if Irv Culver gave coordinates of his airfoils (I hope so).
http://carbon-dragon.ihpa.ie/index.php/25-cd-builders/jim-maupin/94-woodstock#plans

Is the Irv Culver woodstock airfoil documented somewhere and its coordinates available ?

If somebody had a copy of the sheet 1 of the woodstosck plans (with Irv Culver airfoil), it shouls be very nice
to make a scan of it with the JPEG, TIFF OR BMP format (digital "picture" format) and transmit it to the
http://carbon-dragon.ihpa.ie/ webmaster to put it online. It is clearly impossible to have an accurate airfoil
with the PDF format (believe me or not), it can vary on a full scale template to make it completely different
from the scanned original.

Back