• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sailplane Pitching moment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Bill

I've been doing some reading about laminar flow wings, small efficient high aspect ratio wings and this has pointed me to the sections used on sailplanes and motorgliders. I'm somewhat confused by what I see because most all of these designs have sections with a high pitching moment. Yet tail moment/fuselage length is relatively short, horizontal stab span and area is also very small compared to the wing. Yet these designs are very stable in pitch. I've flown an ASK21 and it was far from divergent or unstable by any means.

Im assuming it has something to do with sailplane wings flying at a low angle of attack and being lightly loaded, and at relatively low airspeeds. The low airspeed makes the TINY horizontal stabilizer even less effective though.
What am I missing here?

Back