• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2-3 Months Away On A Trip & No Hangar - Concerns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudbaseracer

Guys,

My plane has always been hangared by me and previous owners. Now, I am looking to head to Florida for a large portion of March, April and May but I am not able to find a close by hangar. I can park outside on the grass strip I will staying on and that is most ideal. I will be there flying non-powered soaring during the mid day and want to fly my plane in the morning and late evening. Except, I am concerned about extended UV on my Air Cam on Amphibs. The fuselage and center wing section is all metal but the section outboard of the engines is fabric, along with the horizontal.

I have access to an enclosed hangar but it is quite a bit away and that will seriously limit my flying as I will not make the trip to that field 2 times a day. I really don't want to limit my options but I am concerned about the UV.

Storms are of concern as well if I am just tied down outside but I am able to transport the plane to a "safety" hangar during any extended period of major storm/wind days. This will provide peace of mind for those times.

So, what do you guys think? Is there a huge amount of UV damage that can occur during this time?

Cheers,
James

Back