• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thrust Angle for Pylon mounted pusher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

I am redesigning the engine mount on my Aventura and while I am doing so I want to adjust the thrust angle from where it was (0° with respect to the chord line) to reduce the downward pitching moment when thrust is added (or more importantly the upward pitch moment when thrust is reduced) and perhaps improve climb performance. Big driver is to reduce the pitching moment. Chord line is very easy to determine on this airplane as the tube the engine mounts to is the chord line. The propeller shaft is 12" above the chord line. The idea would be to tip the prop side of the engine up to make the thrust directed closer to the center of pressure. The manufacturer doesn't have any feedback on this. I don't see any disadvantage with doing this but a lot of potential improvements. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is any good reference material on this matter. I am thinking somewhere around 0-5 degrees, if I don't hear anything I'll go for 3 degrees. Remember,the MO of the airplane is not speed or cruise efficiency. I haven't measured (and I won't have a chance to until I install this mount) what the AOA is in cruise flight but looking at pictures it is a few degrees.

Thanks

Back