• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Might want to check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwood66889

Visited a friend this afternoon. He was taking his motor off. Seems he had a spate of trouble and returned to his home field for a Precautionary Landing (PL).

Good thing he did! Counter sunk screws holding his fly wheel, alternator and center spindle had backed out.

First picture shows fly wheel on top, alternator below that, and what I will call the spindle on the right. The spindle is what holds it all on. All that dust is from the metal shaved off getting home!

The fly wheel holds the magnet that triggers the ignition. He first noticed something wrong when performance on his full VW dropped. With the fly wheel loose, timing would wobble around.

The alternator has been worn down to where the copper wire shows. Obviously, it would have not lasted much longer! He did not notice electrical problems, just a fine something appearing on his wind screen.

The second picture shows the end of the crank. Note the areas of missing metal around 3 of the threaded holes. We don't know whether to trust the flange - could be that die penetrant would show nothing.

The Diehl accessory case he has allows viewing of the screws. He is adding a visual check of the screws on every oil change. I'm gonna suggest some "Torque Stripe" to assure things have not moved.

Don't know how many hours in service, and I am posting this as a caution point for those it may be of interest to. PM me for details, though I don't know when I'll see him next.

Percy in SE Bama

Attachments

• 20170129_vw3.jpg
    20170129_vw3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170129_vw5.jpg
    20170129_vw5.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Back