• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What tools do you use for design work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lochieferrier

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member, been lurking for a while so let me know if I'm breaking any posting rules.

It looks like a lot of people on this forum are doing designs from scratch. I've been working on some homebuilt designs and I've got some questions about the processes you guys use to work through a new idea:
  • What software (if any) do you normally use to sketch out new ideas? OpenVSP? Spreadsheets? Custom code?
  • If you want to look at how changing one parameter such as wing area affects an outcome like total weight, how do you do that? Does anyone have ways of automating that process?
  • Is there any sort of standard system for sharing aircraft designs?

I feel like there's got to be a better way to do design than the mess of tools (OpenVSP + Spreadsheets + CFD) that I currently use. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Lochie

Back