• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Recent addition from Vermont

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardo

Hello All,
I've been posting questions, etc for a little bit now, but haven't taken the time to properly introduce myself. I currently reside in Vermont, and have been out of aviation for the last 18 years due to losing my medical on a technicality back then. My history with flying started early, as a young guy I vacationed near an airport on LI, where I would spend all day sitting in the dunes at the end of the runway watching planes come and go. One day, I ambled over to the FBO and they kindly gave me some magazines. From there things were a bit circuitous with detours into motorcycle racing, and so on, but I eventually ended up at Embry Riddle (Prescott '84) and subsequently flew as a P-3 NFO in VP-46, with 7 years total in the Navy. When I got out, I was flying a '49 Piper Clipper regularly from the McMinnville (OR) airport, and later built an RV-4 with another guy. He did 90% of the work. The RV-4 was great, but I realized that I preferred the low, slow approach more. In '99 I fainted due to blood sugar issues after a hard mountain bike ride, I had a follow up neuro exam, which I admitted during my flight physical. One thing led to another, and *poof* my physical was gone. At that point I sold my RV-4 and moved on with my life, racing motorcycles, rally cars and bicycles. Also, in those years I spent time designing and scratch building R/C aircraft and gliders, my favorite was a 14' wingspan RES motor glider. Recently, I read something about Sport Pilot regs and realized that if I could get the old medical thing cleared up, I could fly again without having a technicality between me and no physical. I am working on that now, and spending the intervening time exploring potential aircraft. Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Regards,
Ward

Last edited:
Back