• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ducted fan counter torque

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusan

I'm opening a discussion on the figure of merit on the following configurations:

1. Ducted counter-rotating coaxial propellers;
2. Ducted single propeller and counter torque stator vanes;

As far as I know a single propeller is more efficient than coaxial propellers ( in textbooks coaxial props are comparable with 4 bladed prop) The coaxial helicopters are more efficient as the lower propeller "sucks" clean air because of top propeller stream contraction. In a duct that will not be the case and the downstream propeller will see the full speed of the air as it exits the first propeller. For me, that means the single propeller will be more efficient especially if some energy can be recovered from the swirl by stator vanes.

Back