• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

desperately need opinions on flying Wheeleer Express CT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypuppy

It's not a true T-tail. The horizontal stabilizer is about halfway up the tail (from the original plans.) I've heard some say it is a very dangerous aircraft, while others say it's not dangerous at all, just fly it all the way down and onto the runway. I guess that means don't get nose up when near stall speed. Or what?

Also, has anyone used the VG's on it to lower the stall speeds? Did it work? It's only a couple hundred but installation is quite tedious, AIUI. Is it worth it, making the plane safer to fly? I don't mind losing 1 or 2 knots off the top end if stall is really lowered by around 10!

Are there any other gotcha's for this design? A number of them have crashed but I don't know if is within statistical norms or if the design is dangerous.

And how would you compare them to a Mooney 231? (M20K before mods). Initial price is significantly lower on the Mooney but long term the maintenance is probably killer, especially annuals.

Thanks,
Skypuppy

Back