• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another local crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

A few days ago a Harmon Rocket went down just after take off here at Corona, KAJO. The pilot died the next day and the rear seat occupant was badly smashed up, though it looks like he will survive.

Apparently the pilot and owner in the front seat was getting dual from the rear seat, from one of the most experienced guys around here. Dave has flown just about anything with wings. The engine simply cut out after several touch and goes, at a low altitude, just after leaving the ground. They made a right hand turn to get into the only available open space and came down very hard. Corona is in a very built up area with few options. There really was nowhere else to go.

Of course speculation is rife; there was no fire and no smell of fuel at the crash site...

Dave is is the guy who inherited the Stearman I am covering after the original owner died (not flying-related). He may never be the same after this as his injuries are severe. Was just getting to know him and, contrary to his gruff exterior, is a great guy.

Whatever the cause of the failure, there is no doubt that they did the best under the circumstances, but it reminded me once again why I will never own an airplane with such a high wing loading (around 18lbs/sq.ft). Whenever the fan stops on these types the result is almost inevitable something bad.

Harmon crash.jpg

Back