• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Finding the right kit build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nschmandt

Hey guys!
All right, I think I'm at the point where I need to figure out if a kit-build is going to be in my future. I'd really appreciate input from others. My priorities outside the plane:

1) Easy and reasonably quick to build.
I will be a first-time builder, and I would most likely do the build all at once; I'll leave a few months between jobs, go somewhere where there's a mechanic who's experienced with the plane I'm building and spend about 3 months there working on it full time. I would say 700 man hours to the finished product is probably the max, to be safe. I'm also going to budget about $1000 to hire somebody experienced to help me with the most difficult parts of the build.

2) Resale value
I will be sinking pretty much my entire life savings into the kit build, and I know getting all the money back is unrealistic, but I'd like to at least lose as little as possible. I think this means I should take the factory new engine.

3) Price
Most likely $75K-$100K will be the amount I can put into it, depending on when it happens and how much I can save.

Now, for the plane itself:

1) Cross-country is my primary motivation for flying. The cabin should be able to accommodate me at 6'3" comfortably enough for long flights, and have the best cruise speed possible. I will be taking it on long trips relatively frequently.

2) I'd like the plane to burn 92 octane instead of avgas.

From what I've read, most likely an RV (9 or 14) or Velocity will make the most sense for me. I'd love to know if there's other options out there (especially other planes in the RV line), or what the pros and cons of these different choices are.

It's also possible an older Cessna 182 is really a better choice for me, and I'd appreciate honest opinions about that as well. I currently fly a Comanche and love it, but the annuals with the retract gear are just too much for someone with my income. From what I see most kit build planes have significantly better specs than something like a 182 or Cherokee 260, though they do give up max weight carried.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the experience on the forum and the responses people give!

Back