• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Have we reached the end of the Steam Gauge era?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmflying14

Hello fellow builders!

I have reached the point in my Dragonfly build that it is about time to start thinking about, planning (and saving) to outfit the project with avionics, instruments, radios, etc.

The purpose of this thread is to kick off a discussion about the pro's and con's, of going steam guages vs an EFIS system.

Obviously, most of us dream of an EFIS system, and a simple, clean, panel, however most of us are also financially constrained. I for one was originally planning a steam gauge outfit to "save money" and get my build in the air. After a fair bit of looking around, I shot out an email to a few EFIS mfg's, for simple quotes. Then, I started pricing together required "steam gauges."

My most reasonable quote was right at about $5000 to outfit my plane with an MGL EFIS-Lite system. The quote includes intercom, radio, engine management, and your basic AHRS instrument set up all in one easy touch screen display. (Which would also be easily expandable for the 2020 ADS-B requirements).

Then, I started to price out the steam gauges. I quickly realized that the price difference (once you include ADI, HI, VSI, ASI, CHT, EGT, Eng Oil, Oil Pressure, etc) is rapidly decreasing below $1,000. More like a $600 spread, with factoring low-mid range components.

It also sounds like I would be gaining weight and losing most, if not all, of my ability to gather data, keep logs, etc, when going with a "traditional" (steam gauge) panel.

What are your guys' thoughts and experiences?

Back