• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

a Greek Foam-Composite Airchair attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaMan

Hello All.

I'm 40 years old, father of two daughters, still married and a happy R/C plane maker for more than 20 years now. I'm Greek and work at the Hellenic Air Force in a UAV Squadron (military guy).
I've always wanted to make my own airchair as I love gliding and especially slope soaring. I absolutely love slope soaring._
I have some nice skills with composites over foam cores and wanted to combine these in an effort to make a "modern" primary glider with a better performance than the most famous "tube&fabric" designs.
My biggest problem besides time and the cost of the materials, is that new field for me, that new scale, on which I have little or no knowledge of designing and building. Bigger loads, 1/1 sizes, the fear of your own life in there are only a few reasons why I decided to show my work to all of you and ask for your judgement based on your previous knowledge.
I don't have any degree in designing planes, my CAD skills are primitive, I mostly go with what I feel happy with by experience, remake if needed and continue.
Let me take you to a photo tour of my efforts so far... :)
At first, I took a huge styrofoam panel (2m x 0,6m), put some mylars on top of them, waxed and buffed them to have a nice workbench...

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 100
Back