• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What fuel oil and gearbox oil for the 277?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrtaya_Tsamsiyu

I got a Rotax 277 for my FP-202 project a while back, and I'm getting sorta close to being able to run it. Not sure what oil to add to the gas, or where/what oil to use in the gearbox.
Looking at the manual, it specifies SAE 90-api-gl 3 for the gearbox, and simply says high quality, low carbon oil for air cooled 2 strokes for adding to the gas.
What oils would y'all recommend, and where can I get them?
So far I haven't seen anything that seems to closely match what it calls for.
I've also read some places online that since oils have changed over the years, that the originally specified mix ratios may no longer be correct. Is that true at all?

A little more info on the engine; Its brand new, still in the box as shipped from the factory in 1988. Gearbox is too. Any info on keeping it in good condition is welcome.

Back