• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lyco-Saurus Valve Cover Bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Hi all,

I am not too impressed with the OEM Lycoming valve cover screws.

These are standard blade screws with a lock tooth washer and a regular washer. I am concerned that they are going to simply vibrate off because as you tighten the screw the silicone gasket compresses and then when you come back around to check the security of the screws they seem to be loose.

Naturally I could do this all day long until the silicone gasket is fully compressed but there seems to be a better way.

Does anybody know what that better way is?

Has anybody converted from the standard blade screws to hole bolts so that they can be safety wired?

I am considering that however there's not a great deal of distance around the head of the bolt because the valve cover is stamped in such a manner that I may not be able to get my socket onto the bolt head because the metal lip of the valve cover is too close to the bolt head.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!!

Back