• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing the fastest two place VW-powered airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi
So, here's the challenge... I have in mind to circumnavigate Australia one day. In order to do so, I'll need to fly with a companion (wife) so the plane will need to be a two seat design. And since I want to do this on a budget, I'll be putting a VW up front.

As you may have noticed, OZ isn't a small place. Getting anywhere to somewhere else is a major undertaking. So I'll be wanting the fastest plane I can reasonably build.

What sort of design parameters would you say might meet this mission? How would you go about designing a plane for two people which really moves...?

I'd like a high wing - basically because of downward visibility when flying over the outback. And to use as convenient places to string hummocks from at night.

My initial thoughts were for a very small, light airframe - similar to the fabled Questair Venture - reportedly the air found it extremely hard to grab hold of and it out-performed aircraft with the same engine. All to do with fineness ratio of the fuse. Plus small wings.

Weird and wonderful composite honeycomb construction isn't in my budget or my skillset. Composites are fine, but it has to be reasonably "standard".

Any other ideas?

Duncan

Back