Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About to build Pietenpol - How do I first go about it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: About to build Pietenpol - How do I first go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    The Ford engine adds authenticity
    Well that's arguable but I would tend towards a VW Golf 1.9 diesel for that, even an older one, to get that puff of black smoke and the "authentic" noises. Very safe, more power, direct drive, good on fuel too, and same weight as the Model A.

Just putting a thought out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    The vast majority of engineering failures are the results of failure of imagination rather than failure of calculation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapracer View Post
    Yes, something I've never understood, but as I said, that's me. When I stand there watching my Mate take off in his Pie..., errr, Neiuport, I can't see what engine he's using...
    ... but you can sure HEAR it!

How about a Ford Pinto engine?

Dana

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin N View Post
    I consider the front seat of a Piet a nice baggage for camp gear. The problem is getting in and out. The best front seat pax in a Piet are Romanian Gymnasts, jockeys and smaller framed people. Yes 6 foot 180 pound bubba can do it if he is still fold-able. I met this builder at Lee Bottom field in Hanover ,IN. He told me he flew with the Ford for a very short time then switched to the A65 Cont. This Piet is pretty hard core for a Piet. Most lumber was sourced locally and he went with one piece top wing. Very cool airplane. The good thing about A65's , there are a lot of them around and affordable. They are about the most ideal engine for a Piet.
    That was my friend Jeff's plane, he built it from the original plans in Popular Mechanics, including carving his own prop. He got rid of the Ford after his 3rd engine failure in 6 flights. The Model A might be authentic, but I would think twice about flying one over anything but farms with low crops. If you see a tree, turn.
    Last edited by 12notes; January 10th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 12notes View Post
    That was my friend Jeff's plane, he built it from the original plans in Popular Mechanics, including carving his own prop. He got rid of the Ford after his 3rd engine failure in 6 flights. The Model A might be authentic, but I would think twice about flying one over anything but farms with low crops.
    I got the failure count wrong but but I think I made my point. Either way, very cool Piet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lot to consider about the Ford engine.I do want authenticity but I also want to stay flying for a longer period of time.What other engines would be good but still have the overall look of something from the era?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairL View Post
    Lot to consider about the Ford engine.I do want authenticity but I also want to stay flying for a longer period of time.What other engines would be good but still have the overall look of something from the era?
    A Continental A65 is also pretty ubiquitous on a Pietenpol. It's the same engine employed by countless Cubs, Aeroncas and Taylorcrafts among many others and being manufactured as an airplane engine from the get-go is pretty well plug and play versus any conversion you'd have to do to a Ford or Corvair. I suppose a 65hp Lycoming or Franklin could work just as well at the expense of popular familiarity and parts availability.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume the Continental A65 is the same one as mounted on Pietenpol with serial G-BUCO.If so it is a good looking mount on a Pietenpol.I quite like the look of this as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4871569746_7585e01f06_z.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	57780

Shame to hear the Ford A is not as reliable as I've hoped.I want to still give it as contemporary of a design as possible.

Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairL View Post
    Bernie Pietenpol himself liked the Corvair, so that's an option. The little continental 65's are great and easily looks "cool" on a Pietenpol.

Over the history of Pietenpols I'd say people have ran just about all the engines you can think of.

If I'm not mistaken the plans are a bit different for the Corvair or other engines, I think there's a supplement package you order. I have the original set of plans and that's only for the 1 piece wing and Ford powered. If you want a center section three piece wing it think you need that supplement as well.

Registered User Little Scrapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bernie Pietenpol's Corvair Pietenpol. Bernie wasn't obsessed with the past, he wanted light, fast and efficient like others want in our modern time. I like it.

Name:	20170110_142359.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	57784

I myself love the past, even if it's childish and impractical I still hang on to the past. I love this Pietenpol with a modern engine. the cowl and paint is everything if you want it to look nostalgic.

Name:	20170110_142429.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	57785

10. Likes FritzW liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd build a Ford powered Piet but only as a back burner project. I'd need something to fly while undertaking that kind of project or I'd lose interest. No time constraints would allow me to do all my own work. machine axles and hubs for spoke wheels, do my own engine work, pour and machine babbitt just because there is a certain satisfaction in those tasks. Just about need 2 engines so once flying could alternate between rebuild and in service. I can't imagine the engine overhaul intervals are more than 100 hrs.

Actually, the Scout is my preferred model of the Pietenpol and it should do fairly well with a corvair engine as Bernard figured that out a long time ago.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just looked over a Piet. at the Lakeland museum (sun and fun) a couple of weeks ago during Christmas vacation, It is such a cool airplane. It had an A-65 continental on it and I think the visibility was much improved over the radiator in front of the forehead model. I wish you much success with your endeavor.

13. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the further advice.I'm quite into the 1920's homebuilts as it was a time of great ingenuity for aviation after the First World War.I've been wanting to make it look so as best as possible.The one Scrapper posted of G-ECVB is a good example of what alternative could be made.As much as I want the Ford engine I from what I've read so far here can't imagine doing longer flights with one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blane.c View Post
    I just looked over a Piet... It had an A-65 continental on it and I think the visibility was much improved over the radiator in front of the forehead model.
    The radiator isn't as much hinderance to the view as you might think. A proper Piet rad is only about as wide as the engine block (but quite thick to compensate) so it only blocks a small portion of the view. What really surprised me is that you can kind of see through the radiator; probably not well enough to spot an approaching airplane but if you shift around in your seat a bit you can make out the terrain directly ahead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're not going to see ground over the nose from the back seat, radiator or not. You fly looking out the side of planes like these anyway. Look at how much flying you are going to do over 10 years and pick your best choice. A lot of times people overestimate how much flying they are going to do. A piet is a great plane for four 15 minute flights on a Saturday afternoon. You fly it for cycles of takeoffs and landings not as a time builder. 150 hours but 600 flights is a lot of flying doing the important stuff. 600 hrs in a Piet is lots of flight time for the average.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago I saw a Piet that was sporting a Kinner radial. I really liked the looks of it.
    I've never met an airplane or helicopter that I didn't like