• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welding vs triangulated brackets with rivets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Waters

1 PM
Alan Waters
user-online.png

Registered UserJoin DateJun 2009LocationConover N.C.Posts511Likes (Given)37Likes (Received)72

[h=2]Re: ON NETFLIX NOW. PLANE RESURRECTION[/h]
I reviewed the second episode which was the rebuilding of the Hawker Hurricane. My attention was directed toward the lack of welding in the airframe. Starting at 29.22 on the tape counter and freezing the tape in various places I was unable to see much weld. There was some but by in large in the limited area we can see the tubes are fastened with riveted triangulated brackets. Round tubes have been squared up on the ends and others are square all or most of the length. This should be of interest to our builders who do not weld. I am a retired welder and have welded on airframes and it is of great interest to me. Welding on CM airframes is not easy. Well.... the weld itself is not that hard, it is getting into the position which allows you to weld that causes the grief. I may go out on a limb and say one could build an entire airframe with no weld. The BELITE aircraft may have already done this.

Max. takeoff on the Hurricane is 8,710 lbs and I suppose could take all the g's a pilot could supply and stay awake. So, is it not reasonable to think the constructions methods used would work as well on a 1320 lb aircraft? Most of which will likely never see more than 4 or 5 g's.​

What we believe or do not believe does not change the facts.

The oldest, most mysterious, most published piece of literature in the universe, remains unread by most people in the same universe.

Back