• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello from London, England

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foundationer

Hello everybody.

I've been lurking a good while and learning a lot from you guys and I guess it's time to finally break cover.

I currently fly gliders (1985 vintage LS6), used to fly toy aeroplanes, did an Aerospace Engineering degree getting on for 20 years ago and have my eye on designing / building some kind of SSDR (sub 300kg, single seat, 35 Knot stall speed) thing.

What really got my interest going was the recent proliferation of small electric aeroplanes so the idea is to build something efficient, cheapish and low powered with off the shelf (read toy aeroplane) parts. Doesn't seem to me that I need any new technology - the power train was worked out five+ years ago, the aerodynamics and structures 30+ years ago all I've got to do is tie it all together nicely(!)

I'll be popping up around the place asking dumb questions for the next little while as I work out what might work.

Here's a brief outline of what I'm after:

250kg AUW
500fpm climb
90 Knot cruise(!)
1 hr+ endurance
composite construction (infused carbon probably because that looks fun)
Must be possible to build most of it in pretty confined space.

That's about it really.

Back