Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Whole Airplane Parachute in "Experimental" Aircraft

250lb chute weight, good for 5000lb, a little large for far 103

2. Likes cheapracer liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are right. Called the Master Sgt., he will weigh one. Said there was one at 500 lbs capacity which was around 40 lbs max. He will see what he can find and let me know. Still a fun thing to explore. Apparently there are several attach methods which add weight to the total rig as well,

Derswede

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, by all means pick a few up if you can get them cheap. Old parachutes deserve to live as ceiling decor if nothing else. Ah, memories.

5. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Riggerrob View Post
    Finally, old explosives become "unpredictable."!
    I gotta call this one out as an old wive's tale. Spent a few years in the business. Neither modern initiators nor propellants that will last a few years has anything about them that won't last many decades. Yeah, initiator chemistries carried over from firearms are too heat sensitive for egress systems, but high temp tolerant chemistries were developed back at the dawn of ejection seats for just that reason. If the system was designed to be reliable for a decade, was sealed up, and has not got visible corrosion, it will live longer than we will.

Now the external connections, firing mechanism, etc, they gotta be looked over for contamination, corrosion, etc.

As to a home grown recovery 'chute, I suspect testing and development will cost more than buying one. First there is getting the gun or rocket working and reliable. Then imagine trying to borrow a testing range for the drop. Then talking someone with a ramp equipped airplane into letting you push a pallet with enough ballast to mimic your airplane and your home built recovery chute with a long static line to fire the thing. Probably have to do more than one design iteration too. Ugh. But if you do, I want to fly chase.

Billski

7. Likes bmcj liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys know there are spring loaded cheaper chutes don't you?

and then there's drag car racing chutes, may not float down, but slow you enough to have realistic "walk away with a limp" chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    The vast majority of engineering failures are the results of failure of imagination rather than failure of calculation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My gross will be 600lb, the 500lb g14 would probably work. I'm unlikely to be at gross, 550lb would be usual take off weight, and the next size up is 2000lb... Man rated chutes are something like 360lb. Most of the surplus ones seem to have cut lines. Saw some new ones for a little over $100 on the fleabay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    For any aircraft with numbers on it:

91.307 Parachutes and parachuting.

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger -

(1) Within the preceding 180 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
    "carried in" seems to imply personal parachutes; is a BRS "carried in" the aircraft? Or is a BRS an "approved type"?

Dana
    If they choose to interpret this reg as including BRS type chutes, what would be said on an experimental if you referred to the chute as a secondary system for landing (much the same as flaps or retractable gear) instead of as a emergency recovery parachute? Being experimental, they really don't dictate the design process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wsimpso1 View Post
    I gotta call this one out as an old wive's tale. Spent a few years in the business. Neither modern initiators nor propellants that will last a few years has anything about them that won't last many decades.
    Agree. Part of my duties at McDonnell-Douglas was overseeing the certification of vendor-supplied pyrotechnics. We required a collection of past productions that could be warehoused and tested at various times, ages and conditions. Though significantly over-aged, I don't recall any deployment failures.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    -iff Vdescend=6 m/s and s=0.1 m the decceleration overload is 6*6/20*0.1=18"g" !

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=cheapracer;364483]You guys know there are spring loaded cheaper chutes don't you? ............................

Springs are really only effective for launching pilot-chutes up to a yard (metre) in diameter. Then pilot-chutes catch wind and drag the primary parachute out of the container.
    I shudder to think of how heavy a spring you would need to launch a 20 to 40 pound chute beyond wing-tip distance!
    That is why modern BRS and ejection seats use compressed air or explosive gases to propel a slug beyond wing tip length.

14. Likes bmcj, wsimpso1 liked this post