Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falconar F-11?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Falconar F-11?

I am researching the Falconar F-11, either the A or the E model. I am uncomfortable with the folding wing idea, just because it is another mechanism to break down, and could be a bit heavy. My questions are: are there drawings for building the wing without the wing hinge; is the O-200 with a C-90 cam a good engine for this plane, and how does it compare tho the Emeraude. I know the F-11 and the Emeraude are pretty different, but which one takes longer to build, which one has more baggage which one has better ground-handling. I like the looks of the Emeraude, but have heard that the wings take a million years to build and that the highest point of French aviation was when Bleriot crossed the Channel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Falconar F-11?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    .... have heard that the wings take a million years to build and that the highest point of French aviation was when Bleriot crossed the Channel.
    I heard that he was attempting to escape .....

BJC

3. Likes bmcj, Mcmark, Kevin N, Battler Britton liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved my Falconar F-12. Big mistake in selling it. My plans showed the one and 3 piece wing, flaps, fixed tri-gear, tail dragger. The 3 piece wing adds a lot of weight. I bought my F-12 as a partially built project and finished it. Flew it for 5 years. It was a one piece wing, taildragger. Built light as possible, ( 937 lbs EW). Lyc engine of about 165 hp. Cruised at 150 mph with a climb prop, ROC of 1700 fpm at GW and 2200 fpm single place. Used C-150 round landing gear legs. 42" wide cabin, and large baggage area. Wife and I did a lot of traveling in it.
    The F-12 is a stronger build for Lyc engines up to 180 hp than the F-11. But the 180 hp is putting the cruise up close to the redline with a cruise prop. Lyc- 320 is a better engine for the F-12. The F-12 is a very good handling airplane, a lot like a RV-4 after installing gap seals on all of the control surfaces. Smooth, fast and quiet. Great cross country airplane. Its really a simple airplane except for the main spar, and its not that hard. Don't let the spar scare you in the F-11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	57637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	57638  
    Pops

5. Likes Turd Ferguson liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the rudder for the Falconar F-10 completed and sitting on (actually next to) my bench... the F-11 folding wing is an option I believe...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would go for the Emarude, just a personal preference. I don't think the wings would be all that different on either type when coming to complication.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I would go for the Emarude, just a personal preference. I don't think the wings would be all that different on either type when coming to complication.
    I always liked the Emarude and never seen one that wasn't beautiful. Never flew one, but I'am sure they fly good by TLAR.
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much weight do you think the folding wings of the F12 would add?

More thinking of the convenience of building in a 20' workshop than for being able to fold them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by max_burke View Post
    How much weight do you think the folding wings of the F12 would add?

More thinking of the convenience of building in a 20' workshop than for being able to fold them.

I don't remember for sure, but in the booklet that came with the plans, if I remember correctly it was 30 lbs. Beside the steel straps,bolts, etc, there is the extra wood in the box spar at the attach point. 15 lbs per side, seems about right to me. I still have a set of plans so if I can remember tomorrow I'll see if I can find it.

Could you extend the 20' by building a temporary box outside a garage door or something?
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are not keen on the folding wing, why not go for the Jodel equivalent that the F11 was based on? Or one of the many other Jodel models.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also like what (little) I know about the F11 E model, at least what I've read. Reported good handling, a foldable wing, 540 lb useful load, respectable performance on less than 100 HP. I do wonder what changes were made to allow the empty weight of the "E" model to be 560 lbs when the empty weight of the "A" model is 785 lbs--and the planes have the same dimensions. Losing 225 lbs in a plane this small is no small feat, even if we are generous and assume 100 lbs is due to a smaller engine. At max takeoff weights of 1100 lbs (E model) and 1300 lbs (A model), the E model even has a higher useful load than its beefier brother. And only one F11E has reportedly been completed. Something seems a bit out of whack, or maybe I'm just a cynic. But, I want to believe . . .
    Last edited by Vigilant1; January 5th, 2017 at 08:40 PM.

Registered User Battler Britton's Avatar
    Montpellier,LFNG most of the time and Fontainebleau(shop) France
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I flew both, and I can say they are great planes( although french!) Piel Emeraude is delicious, a little more figther (old way) than the Jodel
    the wing , yes should be TWO million year project! but, quite a master piece!

I mean , Jodel are good compromise, nice flying and a little faster to built

try to see french ( sorry) drauwings, original

in french...

http://www.ivresses-des-profondeurs....esentation.cfm

http://www.flydw.org.uk/dwjindex.htm

http://www.avions-piel.com/viewtopic...1003&view=next

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP320%20N%B0416%20F-PIEL%20AFFLARD-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	57662

Name:	CP320%20N%B0416%20F-PIEL%20AFFLARD-3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	57663

Name:	CP320%20N%B0416%20F-PIEL%20AFFLARD.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	57664

Name:	CP320%20N%B0416%20F-PIEL%20AFFLARD-2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	57665

14. Likes fly2kads liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    And only one F11E has reportedly been completed.
    How many F12's are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant1 View Post
    Something seems a bit out of whack, or maybe I'm just a cynic. But, I want to believe . . .
    Hey, being a cynic is a necessary part of hanging around airplanes, according to my CFI and boss at CubAir Flight.

What about GA flying in Russia? I know you need to be able to speak Russian, but can you build yourself/fly an airplane?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many F12's are there?

Hey, being a cynic is a necessary part of hanging around airplanes, according to my CFI and boss at CubAir Flight.

What about GA flying in Russia? I know you need to be able to speak Russian, but can you build yourself/fly an airplane?

How many F-12's ? At this time the FAA only list one. I have talked to the owner . At one time there were at least 6 in the U.S. Used to be several in Canada. The one I built was destroyed in a ground loop. One of the easiest taildraggers that I have flown.
    Everyone that flew my F-12 loved it.
    Pops

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    One of the easiest taildraggers that I have flown.
    How easy is it compared to the Cub? I am learning to fly the Cub, so might be a bit spoiled. I am 6'3"; how is the cockpit legroom/headroom space.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How easy is it compared to the Cub? I am learning to fly the Cub, so might be a bit spoiled. I am 6'3"; how is the cockpit legroom/headroom space.
    Things happen a LOT faster than with a Cub. My F-12 stalled at about 68 mph out of ground affect. Approach speed 80 mph if light, and 85 mph heavy. Anything under that and you got a high sink rate. Would be a very big jump from a Cub to a F-12. In flying, my F-12 handled a lot like a RV-4. Everything about the same except for a little slower roll rate. Like a RV-4, it stays where you put it.
    Pops

19. Likes Battler Britton liked this post