Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions concerning a lost medical and LSA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Questions concerning a lost medical and LSA

Hello All,
    I am new to the forum and looking for some guidance. After an 18 year hiatus, I am looking at getting back into flying and am wondering the best route to take. Back then, I owned an RV-4, but lost my medical due to admitting that I had fainted. I had considerable follow up work done by a neurologist, and he concluded that I had syncope associated with a migraine. After 18 years of non-recurrence, I am pretty sure I just have low blood sugar from going on a long bicycle ride and not fueling properly. I sold the RV-4 soon after.
    My question is: I am interested in transitioning to becoming an LSA Pilot from my current PPL. I understand that I need to clear up the previous medical issue before doing so. How do I go about this? I would like the best chance of approval plus the least time required to obtain it. My fall back is to consider an ultralight, since I am very fit and healthy, so it will only be bureaucratic reasons that I am not approved.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Ward

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Questions concerning a lost medical and LSA

Two years ago, when my nephew decided to pursue a commercial pilot license from zero hours, the flight school told him to go apply for his medical and save a lot of money before he had any time, in case the medical might shut him down. It did, in fact. He told the doctor he had a seizure as a 6 year old. He was denied and the FAA sent the paperwork on how to reapply. He went to a neurologist and had MRI done and other tests cleared him of any epilepsy type problems. He sent all that back to FAA and within a few weeks got his clearance and went on and did his training.
    Last edited by MikePousson; December 30th, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Mike,
    That is an encouraging story. I am wondering where to start with contacting the FAA, or do I just go to an ME?
    Ward

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will need a special issuance medical. I would suggest going to the Pilots of America forum; they have a "medical topics" section there (you can even post anonymously), and Dr. Bruce Chien, one of the foremost special issuance experts, often posts there.

Depending on the specifics, it might be expensive, but once you have the special issuance, you can let it lapse and continue to fly as a SP.

Dana

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    You will need a special issuance medical. I would suggest going to the Pilots of America forum; they have a "medical topics" section there (you can even post anonymously), and Dr. Bruce Chien, one of the foremost special issuance experts, often posts there.

Depending on the specifics, it might be expensive, but once you have the special issuance, you can let it lapse and continue to fly as a SP.

Dana
    Thanks Dana, that is very helpful.

Ward

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wardo, you need a better AME. You are allowed ONE unexplained unconsciousness. TWO and you have to jump through the hoops.
    This Doc screwed you over....

Doc C. is at aeromedicaldoc.com. Email him directly.
    “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” - Mark Twain

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hi+.” ― W.C. Fields

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The FAA has a page for Special Issuances for "Neurocognitive" issues. I imagine you'd have to pass those tests but 18 years with no reoccurrence works in you favor. I would reapply with an AME and the FAA will review your history and tell you what tests they want to see. Maybe it won't be too bad. If you take the tests they specify and pass, they will usually give you the ticket.
    https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...prot/neurocog/
    Kent
    -Cozy Mk IV - flying 650 hrs, Long-EZ - 25 hrs, BD-5 o-t-g

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear good things about the support from AOPA for special issuances.

BTW, if you get one, by the time it expires, you may be able to fly under the (coming) new rules.

BJC

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to everyone for all your help. It was so discouraging 18 years ago when I had to sell my plane, I basically walked away from aviation in disgust with the FAA. On a fluke I saw the LSA regs and realized it might be possible to own an aircraft again and have less exposure be at the vagaries of a bureaucracy.

Thanks,
    Ward

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spend the bucks and get a complete consultation with Dr.Chen PRIOR...GET THIS PRIOR...to ever talking to an AME. Once you start the process and everything is on record AND you don't have all your ducks in a row, you may be out lots of dollars and time and unnecessary medical workups. It's way easier and a lot less painful to have everything done to the FAA's requirements from the start. If you don't or do it with the wrong information, or incorrectly done documentation, you may end up shelling out the bucks to repeat everything to get it right to satisfy the feds, or have to do way more than what is really needed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other option is to fly gliders. They do not require a medical and do not have the same "if you were denied you can't fly" clause that affects LSA pilots. Like LSA you self-certify that you are fit to fly. Heck, you can even fly a self-sustaining motorglider and fly at night or in IFR conditions as a private pilot-glider with a self-launch endorsement without a medical.