Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flitter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Flitter

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    I've done this. The best advice I can give you is to plan well in advance for the vast quantities of flammable, gloppy, smelly, snot-like gooo that will come pouring out of your parts. It's virtually impossible to clean up, hardens into styrene plastic (no bubbles) when the solvent evaporates out, and will remain as a scum all over the inside of your parts unless you get every drop out quickly. Have rolls of paper- or shop-towels on hand, a very large metal trash can, and a fire extinquisher. You'll want to work over the trash can, so the stuff drains directly into it. Like I said, virtually impossible to clean up otherwise. Make sure the can doesn't leak. It sounds like such a quick and easy thing and I'll grant that it might be "the only way" in some situations. But mostly it's a gigantic PITA, start to finish.

IMHO, you're better off building a plastic "dust hood" bigger than the part, wear a good-quality dust mask, and then removing the bulk of the foam mechanically with a fork. Finish off the removal with perhaps a light flexible sanding disk on the end of something like a Dremel.
    Ditto...
    Dissolving PS is a royal PITA. Gasoline is far cheaper than acetone, BTW.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A soft wire brush in an angle grinder is very effective at both removing foam and turning you into the abominable snowman at the same time. I recommend doing that outside...

3. Likes Battler Britton, Topaz liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bradyaero View Post
    Hi Dana,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was away vacationing in Cuba.

My plan is to carve out large sections of foam, leaving temporary foam bulkheads in place for support. Then I will glass the two sections together, and then place the real bulkheads and remove the temporary foam ones.

I have split the wing design at the outside of the verticals. It is possible to hinge the wings at this point, or just make the outboard wings removable for road transportation.

I have never done this, but do you have any advice on using acetone to melt out foam? Am I asking for trouble?

Thanks, Greg
    Might be fairly messy. I've only played with gasoline and styrofoam, but have heard similar stories as Topaz' ones.

Why not cover the foam cores in perforated plastic (or just thin tape with some exposed foam around the ends of the panels). That way you can just rip the foam out after all the skins are made. Obviously, you need a temporary stiffener on the outside. Some local peelply you laminate on the outside with some wrapped foam stringers on the outside skin? Pretty easy to remove but until it is, pretty stiff. And no risk of damage to your skins when you remove the supports.
    Kennis vermenigvuldig je door het te delen.
    (You multiply knowledge by dividing it)

5. Likes pictsidhe, wsimpso1 liked this post