• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pre- heat your engine on a winter day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don january

I was going down memory lane today and it took me back to a little town called Leola in the state of South Dakota. Dad and I had just finished up a couple Extra 300 RC's and it was cold as heck. We went into the house to warm up and get the flight box ready, so off to the lake we go to do some circles. Well for some of you that fly in winter it's hard enough to keep your fingers warm but starting a cold gas RC motor can really be a challenge. The exhaust from your car will heat it up ok with time, but man oh man a butane torch is the cats meow. Every thing was going great until, Wait for it" there goes my plane off behind a tree line and still some corn in the field. I must have walked around for 3 hour's with no luck.:ermm: So I look at Pa with them cry baby eye's and ask dad could ya please go up with the Pawnee and see if you can find it? Mind you the Pawnee was wrapped for winter and he looked at the torch sitting on the seat between us and smiled and said " are we going to use this to start the Piper?:ponder:Our Pawnee sat parked tied down in the winter so I had to admit my defeat on loosing the Extra. The great guy my father was the next morning we went and rented a 150 and by golly we spotted the model in the corn, good thing I covered it in yellow and black. I just love them old memory lane's. Don

Back