• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Synthetics for Control Cables?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of my bird's control system is push-pull tubes, but the rudder is cables. Well, I could just go tried-and-true with 1/8" 7x19 galvanized cables, but I am always on the lookout for reduced weight and better working antennas. I am running copper tape Comm antennas and a copper tape marker beacon antenna in the aft fuselage. Less metal running near the antennas will let the antennas work better.

Then I started checking out weights. The sailboat guys have been taking weight out using Dyneema, Vectran, or others to replace stainless cables in standing and running rigging, have found it strong, durable, and UV resistant. There are some excellent looking low stretch braided ropes in 3mm (1/8") with breaking strengths higher than the 2000 pounds for galvanized 1/8", they are about 20% as heavy, they can run with 1" diameter sheaves instead of 3" for both compactness and lower weight... Sounds like they could be a win-win-win. The dinghy racing shops have bunches of light solid hardware to go with them. One drawback shows up in that you can not terminate them thimbles and nicopress sleeves, eye splices seem to be the standard...

So, anyone seem or used any of these high strength synthetic ropes instead of galvanized? What was your experience with them?

Billski

Back